MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Yeah, I've watched NYC parking where you pull in behind another car until you hit the car in front of you and then back up until you hit the car behind you, then pull up a few inches, jump out, and go about your business.
This brought back a memory of someone doing just that but multiple times right in front of the DMV doors in Brooklyn. I thought it was hilariously ironic.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I bought a Lexus GX470 for overlanding last year. I wanted one that had "patina" and boy does it have it: Big scratches on the side, paint fade, and some actual patina on one door. It has no rust but one back fender around to the door has lots of bondo (magnets don't hold for quite a bit). I love it. There is something truly freeing about driving a car you don't car to get nicked. I have been looking at newer sports cars but maybe I should come back and get a junky MR2? There is a youtube series on lifting and offroading an mr2. Might be interesting.

Love this thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow. Didn't know about Sivart's car until now. I am flabbergasted. That is truly something else. Luckily, its not the fate my car will see. Repainting all of the body panels as we speak. With a gloss finish, and a normal dashboard.
Saw the name for the third time in two days now and finally looked it up. Holy geez, that was an adventure of a thread that I was not prepared for. That poor car

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Saw the name for the third time in two days now and finally looked it up. Holy geez, that was an adventure of a thread that I was not prepared for. That poor car
Heroes never die, but legends live forever

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do. It looks good at night. Looks decent from 20 feet away. Looks fine after a polish for about a week.

Pressure washer ripped half the clear off front fender and bumper. Rear bumper and quarter panel blended with rustoleum as a temporary fix. Hood doesn't quite match the bumper, driver door is turning pink along with rear hood.

One of these days I will sand and paint it, but probably not until next spring.

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
105 Posts
My yellow car also has terrible paint.
I think only the rear hatch is original paint, the rest is all different colors and mediocre paint jobs.
It is good from far, but far from good.
I do not care much, I own the car for the driving and this beater style fits me well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Pictures don’t do justice to my paint. Chips and dents everywhere. No clear coat. It feels like a chalk board. The bumpers are bent with cracks all over.

gotta see it in person tho.
The lack of clear coat is a good thing (to some extent). These cars have one stage paint and it can be buffed to a beautiful shine anytime. It is actually quite remarkable.

Now as for the dents and chips...

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
I just love the fact that there's no orange peel effect anywhere on my 16 year old paint. You can't walk through a new car lot in this country without seeing orange peel everywhere, it's really disappointing.

In my opinion, spending $40k on a new car would be a much easier pill to swallow if they could at least get the paint right.

My wife and I were car shopping a few years back, looking at Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros. NONE of them had a paint job worth half a shit, and the Camaros all had crooked embroidery in the seats where it was supposed to say "50th Anniversary"...

Quality in this country is nothing compared to Kaizen

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
I just love the fact that there's no orange peel effect anywhere on my 16 year old paint. You can't walk through a new car lot in this country without seeing orange peel everywhere, it's really disappointing.

In my opinion, spending $40k on a new car would be a much easier pill to swallow if they could at least get the paint right.

My wife and I were car shopping a few years back, looking at Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros. NONE of them had a paint job worth half a shit, and the Camaros all had crooked embroidery in the seats where it was supposed to say "50th Anniversary"...

/rant on

I was at three different Kia stealerships today. Forget the fact that none of them had the inventory on the lot that was claimed by their websites. Focus on the fact that the paint on every car they DID have was completely orange peeled from bumper to bumper. Everywhere I looked, I felt like I was wandering through a citrus farm.

DISAPPOINT.

/rant off

·
Registered
13 Posts

You aren't kidding. I just bought my 03 Spyder, and was very surprised at the lack of orange peel

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
491 Posts
View attachment 86388 everywhere u see the wrinkle has completely pulled up, was very painful afternoon having all the clearcoat just peal away afterit dried out
Wow, what caused that? Was it just cleared, didn't stick, and popped off after it got wet?
I recently looked at a Spyder that "only had a few scratches" according to the seller but it was like that all the way through the base coat on one door and quarter in addition to the few deep scratches it had.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
The car was filthy, missing parts, and a total POS so I had to pass on it.
Curious what happened to your clear coat.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
491 Posts
Once there is a hole in it, a power washer will blow water under it. I have done a small area that way, but I stopped before I separated the entire panel.
I see it now when I look at the photo again. Looks like plastic wrap with water between it and the base coat. Sorry, bummer on that happening to your car.

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
/rant on

I was at three different Kia stealerships today. Forget the fact that none of them had the inventory on the lot that was claimed by their websites. Focus on the fact that the paint on every car they DID have was completely orange peeled from bumper to bumper. Everywhere I looked, I felt like I was wandering through a citrus farm.

DISAPPOINT.

/rant off
OK... just (2 hours ago) left the Hyundai dealership with a 2022 Palisade Limited and a $50,000 hole in my pocket. The "Hyper White" metallic paint has very minimal orange peel effect, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
491 Posts
OK... just (2 hours ago) left the Hyundai dealership with a 2022 Palisade Limited and a $50,000 hole in my pocket. The "Hyper White" metallic paint has very minimal orange peel effect, so I'm happy.
Congrats on the new Hyundai 🚙. Definitely didn't see that coming- maybe a Ford e-truck or Spyder project but a Hyundai never crossed my mind. Enjoy the new ride 👍

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
Congrats on the new Hyundai 🚙. Definitely didn't see that coming- maybe a Ford e-truck or Spyder project but a Hyundai never crossed my mind. Enjoy the new ride 👍
Too dark to get a good photo, but here it is in the driveway... tornado warnings going on outside right now, lol... the Spyder got left to spend the night at the dealership

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

21 - 40 of 44 Posts