MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust goes 4-2-1-2 right now as I'm using an exhaust setup similar to the team moon duals. I am aware that the second tip is basically purely for looks but it got me thinking, it seems a bit silly to combine the 2 exhaust streams in the down-pipe just to split them back up in the muffler so provided you used either a muffler with a dual inlet and outlet or 2 separate mufflers would this be a more effective design or am I missing some glaring detail of exhaust design I don't understand?

I'm not planning on having this type of custom setup made as I imagine its decently pricey but considering how much people pay for the PPE setup I couldn't help but question why no one has made a full exhaust system that would incorporate this concept, I feel like there must be some benefit to combining the 4 exhaust gas streams into 1.

Thanks in advance.

-Spargo

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I've Contemplated the 4-2-out design.. mostly because I can..

The Big hurdle is the Cat.. you need two of them.. and there has to be enough heat to keep them running.. I'd make it a Long Tube.. like 28 to 32 inches

But a TRU 4-2-out design would have the Distinct sound..

Cap

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have plans to try building a true dual exhaust some day and find out, just haven't got around to it yet. The simplest way to do it is without the cat and by using the two outlets on the stock gutted exhaust manifold. The third O2 sensor could go in a non fouler in a crossover pipe much like some of the older duals had. There are some small cherry-bomb style mufflers made that are less than a foot long and pretty small diameter. How loud could it be with two small cylinders through each muffler? Who knows. What's the worst that could happen, it doesn't work well? If I do build one, I won't cannibalize my current system, just in case. I already have a welding machine, and all the tools that I would need, and I used to be a pipefitter, so fabricating it from existing pipe and bends that I can buy is withing my scope of experience. I don't think it would be very expensive to build and find out. If It doesn't work out, the pile of junk out back will just grow a little. :lol:

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really interesting did you ever get it to a dyno? I'm having my 2zz equiped Spyder brought in for a new exhaust this week and I can't help but wonder what kind of effects this kind of system would have on the high revving motor. I'll probably wimp out and stick with what I know works awesome for sound but i'd love to hear more.

-Spargo

·
Registered
565 Posts
Interesting

I was just at the muffler shop and he showed me a two in two out single cat. He wants to put true duals on my car as well. The exhaust TM uses is a 1 in 2 out design but they also offer a 2 in 2 out muffler of the same size. I'm just waiting on a price from the muffler shop to see what the cost will be. I think it should work awesome.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
As soon as you go with a 2 in cat or Muffler, it's not a duel anymore..

it's just two pipes instead of one..

Cap

·
Registered
565 Posts
As soon as you go with a 2 in cat or Muffler, it's not a duel anymore..

it's just two pipes instead of one..

Cap
This Cat is dual in dual out totally seperate on the inside. Just the body is shared. So yeah this is dual.
The muffler has the same design, however the chamber does cross to help with exhuast pulses and scavanging, just as an H pipe or X pipe would on a v8 or v6 engine. Still dual exhaust.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Sorry to spoil the party but I would not do this on a short stroke motor.
And if anyone thinks it's going to yield more power or better sound I am willing to wager $100.

·
Banned
415 Posts
This Cat is dual in dual out totally seperate on the inside. Just the body is shared. So yeah this is dual.
The muffler has the same design, however the chamber does cross to help with exhuast pulses and scavanging, just as an H pipe or X pipe would on a v8 or v6 engine. Still dual exhaust.
Well, it may be packaged into one container, but there would need to be two cats for each pipe for it to make it a true dual. So basically what's the point of having that "container" when there are two cats in play anyways? I'm saying, it's just added weight and complication.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sorry to spoil the party but I would not do this on a short stroke motor.
And if anyone thinks it's going to yield more power or better sound I am willing to wager $100.
You might be right Dev, so I won't take the bet, but...

(You knew there was going to be a "but" didn't you?)

I may do it anyway just for grins if I can find a way that I like. Every time I change the oil I look at it all again and try to figure out a route that I like for the piping. I don't think it will cause any harm to the engine. I think the worst that could happen is that it sounds crappy, or messes with the torque curve. Since true duals for a Spyder would be really short, large pipes are probably a really bad idea, and it might be hard to get a decent sound too. Longer pipes always have a mellower sound, so maybe it is just not really practical.

·
Registered
663 Posts
sorry if im starting this thread all over again but is it true that dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder actually decreases its performance? so in this case, is the team moon duals lowering my performance because thats what i have.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
sorry if im starting this thread all over again but is it true that dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder actually decreases its performance? so in this case, is the team moon duals lowering my performance because thats what i have.
That would be true if it was a true dual not a fake one like on the TM and most every car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts