MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states. Would any of the guinea pigs like to share with us their experience so far?
How many miles and any difference in driving experience?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Like the title states. Would any of the guinea pigs like to share with us their experience so far?
How many miles and any difference in driving experience?
I switched out the fluid in my 03 SMT about 5 months ago and have had zero problems. I used DOT4 brake fluid. I was very skeptical but I gave it a go. I have since put about 2k miles on the car. I noticed the pump runs for less time (maybe because it was low before). Other than that it drives the same...may shift a tad bit quicker but not positive.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It says, " do not open"- why?

The cap on the reservoir says, "do not open" and the solenoid says, "brake fluid" and no level indicator.
Can anyone advise?

·
Registered
896 Posts
You can open it. There is a little window on the side that lets you know when it's full. I used DOT4 for awhile but recently changed back to SMT fluid that I got cheap on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Thank you Texas spyder!
I'm going to try to find the fluid on Amazon. I just hope it is the real thing- there must be a reason for the high price smt fluid when dot4 is so cheap. I'm sure the dot4 will work in the short term but it's the long term I'm worried about. It's also interesting that the solenoid says, "brake fluid" on it!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Wow!, thanks again!
I'm going to get some. These hydraulic units are expensive and I'd rather be safe! The funny thing is I have a Bobcat that takes a special fluid and at it states you can substitute with 10W40 motor oil which is what I've been using for years with no problems.
My car did throw a code and displayed the alert symbol and wondered if the fluid being low had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
When I got mine at 72000 miles it was low. Suck the old stuff out with a turkey baster and refill.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
10k on dot 4. Transition is pretty permanent now, I figured 10k in the stop/go traffic of Baton Rouge works the HPU like another area with 40k.

It's better to have new dot 4 than old used SMT fluid in it.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Plebian,
Good to hear that DOT4 is working for you and you deserve credit for experimenting.
I ordered a ltr of Toyota smt fluid today for $120. I hate that Toyota has a monopoly on this stuff. It appears they're taking advantage of us, seeing that Tex Spyder bought some initially for $45. But probably, Toyota had to pay more because of the smaller batch required. Also, it must be uniquely composed of special additives specifically for the type of pump and actuator. It could be the DOT4 is close enough. Perhaps, you would just need to replace the fluid more often due to water absorption or other reasons.
Suoiruc

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Also, it must be uniquely composed of special additives specifically for the type of pump and actuator.
The SMT fluid is dot 3 with about a teaspoon of castor oil per liter. No other additives. It's similar to the rolls royce fluid, but that fluid is pumped by the pistons of the engine, ours doesn't come anywhere near the heat of that.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Plebian,
Interesting! So, why aren't you using DOT3 w/ Castor? Is that what DOT4 is composed of? My limited search came up with several different compositions for DOT3/4 depending on manufacturers. And their prices vary in the stores. How did you find out what was in the Toyota fluid? Isn't it kept secret? That would be great if we could all start using DOT4 especially when doing a rebuild, or replacing fluid, or topping off a leaky system.
I'm hoping that because my system was low on fluid and because it is extremely hot in Arizona that was why I got the P1646 code along w/ the smt light. I'm headed out on a trip soon and don't want to break down 1,000 miles from town. I erased the code and waiting for the monitors to finish analyzing. I can't finish till I get the fluid. Thanks for your input!
Suoiruc

·
Registered
654 Posts
Even Toyota said that dot4 was ok. Can't remember the tread. A workshop called Toyota and they gave dot4 green light.

·
Registered
654 Posts
can dot4 really be use??? help
It is brake fluid in the system for what I know. Toyota call it SMT fluid just for making money out of it. It says "BRAKE FLUID" on the pump so why not use just that? Would the label "BRAKE FLUID" be there otherwise? It's LUCAS (edit: LUK) that manufactures the pump and if they put the label on the unit I believe that it's accurate. If someone gets a used pump and installs it and see the label he will put ordinary brake fluid in. The label is there for a reason and that is for not putting anything else in it, like transmission oil.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
It is brake fluid in the system for what I know. Toyota call it SMT fluid just for making money out of it. It says "BRAKE FLUID" on the pump so why not use just that? Would the label "BRAKE FLUID" be there otherwise? It's LUCAS that manufactures the pump and if they put the label on the unit I believe that it's accurate. If someone gets a used pump and installs it and see the label he will put ordinary brake fluid in. The label is there for a reason and that is for not putting anything else in it, like transmission oil.

Manufacturer is LUK, actually.

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/index.jsp

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just replaced my SMT fluid with castrol dot 4, I can definitely notice a difference when changing gears, it is more responsive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts