1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
0o9ijhn

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I just recently (last week) rented a Ford Edge for about a week. I did not find the touch screen to not function. And the connectivity in that car is pretty impressive. The clock wouldn't stay set for some reason, but all of the controls worked and were easy to get to.

I'm not sure when that article was from or what age the vehicle was that had the issues, but my personal hands-on experience with the Ford system worked as expected. That said, the unit I had did not have the built-in navigation and I didn't use voice controls in it. But the reverse camera never stayed on.

One thing I'll say about that car in general is that it has a ton of blind spots and my 2007 Highlander Hybrid is a much nicer vehicle in terms of finish and quality and most of all Power. But I was impressed by the Ford offerings with their connectivity and touch screen.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Would you expect anything else from MS?
And if it was developed by Apple it would cost twice as much to do the same thing, needed patches would be delayed and the owners would delight in telling you how great it was.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
And if it was developed by Apple it would cost twice as much to do the same thing, needed patches would be delayed and the owners would delight in telling you how great it was.
If it was made by Apple it would be called the iTouchFord, would bring the cost of the car up 300% for no apparent reason, users would need to buy proprietary fingers from Apple just to use it, and the car would be speed limited to 60 mph because Apple doesn't support driving like a flash.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm pretty sure owning an Apple has a social connotation akin to getting a boob job, but to a lesser degree.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. Everything out there has it's drawbacks not because the technology but because of politics. I am using the newly introduced windows 8 consumer preview on my tablet that came out a few days ago. I like what MS has done with it and in many ways it's better then the Ipad.
Unfortunately there is no one system fits all however I envision with cloud computing that's all going to change as we will probably have one standardized operating system that is accessible on whatever device is out there.
All this future technology is probably not going to come into existence because the fake economy will have crashed anyway and then we will be arguing about what food is safe to eat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You get what you pay for.
Not quite true in this case. Apple products use the same CPU (Intel) and technology as a PC, but cost considerably more.

The main difference between the two is the boot ROM. I agree, their designs are very elegant and the OS is good. Better than Windows or Linux? Debatable. I have a hard time justifying the cost difference for a closed system that denies me the freedom to build what I want and to the intended purpose. IE, gaming computer.

I still think Steve Job's missed the boat when MicroSoft was struggling with Vista, Apple should have ported the OS to the PC platform. But Steve was a control freak and that would never happen.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Not quite true in this case. Apple products use the same CPU (Intel) and technology as a PC, but cost considerably more.

The main difference between the two is the boot ROM. I agree, their designs are very elegant and the OS is good. Better than Windows or Linux? Debatable. I have a hard time justifying the cost difference for a closed system that denies me the freedom to build what I want and to the intended purpose. IE, gaming computer.

I still think Steve Job's missed the boat when MicroSoft was struggling with Vista, Apple should have ported the OS to the PC platform. But Steve was a control freak and that would never happen.
That would have been great if he did and gave the OS for free. I for one never had a problem with Vista and I am still using it today on my main computer with out a hitch.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You get what you pay for.
I think it's the inverse. When you pay less you get a device having fewer backdoor sinister deals, mark-ups, and no DRM. I prefer a device that you can fully own: modify without repercussion, maintain it to keep it from the grave, and fully manage content on.

Who would pay into a system that results in slavery? Oops, we are Americans ;)

I do respect Apple for its place in PC history but I am not a fan of how it became laser-focused on mainstream consumerism. Who would have thought it can do so well while delivering a product with the flexibility of a medical product or toddler toy. I guess we agree it's not an all-in-one solution.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Substandard parts? Mac fairly recently switched all of their components to the same pieces as their PC counterparts.

The cavalier metaphor- aren't we all driving the cheaper boxster by that same logic?

Computers are all personal preference. That's where I stand on this. I don't care for misinformation.

Me? I play games on my computer. Regardless of what else I do, that means I use a PC.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The Ford radios, sync, apims, and so on all come from AER Tech in California. From there we really don't know where the components come from or their quality. No comment on the MS software. Didn't BMW toy with some Microsoft based automatic brake system for when you sit at stop lights back in I believe 2003?

Oh, almost forgot. Not to be confused with the AER that rebuilds their motors and transmissions for them along with a couple others.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
No one here is nonsensical. In my case, caviler is not a car, it's my non-bulletproof approach.

Old devices, sticking with DRM:
The early Ipod seemed to have no intent to provide flexibility. It displaced far more flexible products (like the Rio) and remained a "locked-down" device on purpose: to make money via it's proprietary store. Unless you were an early jail-breaker (doubt the term existed), when you lost your Ipod you lost all the music you legally purchased via your computer. This is sinister: DRM was/is over complicated. Imagine losing a disc-man then coming home to see that the thief also got your whole CD collection?

I know it has gotten better since then, but not much.

Now Windows Fairplay is at fault too, whatever it takes to get the record labels and video providers. It is hard to separate capitalism from shady decisions. Apple made it easy to compare the two.

I think all DRM formats and their devices are still trying to achieve flexibly while still satisfying content providers and mutual stakeholders... its a hard fight that doesn't benefit me or the artists very much.

New devices: Off-the-shelf iPhone v.s. a WebOS or Droid device:
- How does one quickly transfer their new photos to a friend's computer?
- How does one trade music, even if they wanted to do it legally and not make copies of it?

I am glad Apple makes so much money because I see they are investing it well on upcoming innovation. It's not a perfect world: I can't like everything that happens in it.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
there are brembo brakes and then their are bimbo brakes

Standard architecture does not equate to standard quality.
I'd argue this point with you. Aside from a select few components, like their wireless card, the pieces inside the computers are identical. Hynix/Samsung/Crucial memory is what they're putting into iMacs nowadays. Just your run of the mill 10600 DDR3. Off the shelf ATI Radeons for graphics purposes. Even the motherboards are just foxconn units nowadays.

Last time I looked inside one, they used some funky custom connectors for their hard drives, but I imagine they're manufactured by samsung or somebody but with apple's connectors. (which is of course, so you can't upgrade them without selling your children, but I digress.)

I dunno. Moral of the story is that it's more relevant which web browser you use than what kind of computer. I'm done here, I think we're close enough to agreement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts