MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a shot in the dark, but I figured it was worth a try before I dropped the $480 for the Toda Gears.

Does anyone have a spare set of Circuitworx gears lying around for a 2zz? MWR is out of stock and has no intention of restocking at this time. I've scoured the web and found one international seller in Italy but am weary about international transactions off of a forum.

Thanks for looking fella's :D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I know this is a shot in the dark, but I figured it was worth a try before I dropped the $480 for the Toda Gears.

Does anyone have a spare set of Circuitworx gears lying around for a 2zz? MWR is out of stock and has no intention of restocking at this time. I've scoured the web and found one international seller in Italy but am weary about international transactions off of a forum.

Thanks for looking fella's :D
Why don't you try TOGA [http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/toga_oilpumpstoyota.html].
I had one of theirs in my 1ZZ and now also in my Rotrex'd, stroker 2ZZ and no complaints.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was originally going to utilize a Toga HV pump but a number of articles threw me off.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701186755

http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=44626

http://www.3si.org/forum/f35/toga-high-volume-oil-pump-direct-comparison-pics-measurements-288478/

http://www.d-series.org/forums/product-reviews/102420-toga-hv-oil-pumps-greddy.html

I have heard of multiple failures in the Honda world and they appear to be no better than stock...

edit* I'm not saying they are bad as I have not owned their product. I'm just weary about installing it in my application knowing the car will spend most of it's time at redline or on a trailer. Realistically, $500 for the Toda gears is cheap insurance when I think about how long and how much effort I've put into this track toy.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
have you tried circuit worx directly? i believe that they are located in Ardmore OK

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Managed to find a phone number for them.. I'll give them a buzz come 8am. Not sure how I skipped over that obvious solution.. lol thanks Duska.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duska to the rescue.

I called MWR again to confirm they no-longer carried them and did not have any in stock. I managed to get a hold of CircuitWorx and was notified that they have a few left and will be selling them through fleaBay or directly with a money order.

At the price I was told, I could get two sets of gears for the cost of the Toda gears. Just wanted to give everyone an update and if you're thinking about going 2zz, you might want to jump on these now.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes sir. When I spoke to them they were aware of the tolerance issues and stated they had replaced MWR's inventory and scraped all out of tolerance parts. But I'll be sure to measure mine when they come in :D

FWIW, they haven't had any reported failures on the out of tolerance batch (so I was told).

Thanks for watching out for me. This community has been great and I hope to get back into the swing of things and contribute a bit more.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
so how did it work?

are they going to sell to you direct?

i have these and they are working just fine

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so how did it work?

are they going to sell to you direct?

i have these and they are working just fine
Unfortunately this is the hold up. They are closing their doors and are no-longer accepting credit card payment. I spoke to Rosemary and she stated that I would either need to send in a MO or I would be referred to another vendor whom would sell the remaining gears.

I'll be hearing back from her either Friday or Monday and will pass on the information once I get confirmation on the path forward.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I am currently dealing with a dispute with them about their gear. I had a major oil starvation issue with their gear last year with only about 1000 miles on it. I have computer measured data on their gear that I believe was a cause of the failure.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am currently dealing with a dispute with them about their gear. I had a major oil starvation issue with their gear last year with only about 1000 miles on it. I have computer measured data on their gear that I believe was a cause of the failure.
Do you think it was part of the bad batch as mentioned previously? Just curious if you took measurements of the lobes as described. Sorry to hear about your dispute with them, did you loose the motor?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Do you think it was part of the bad batch as mentioned previously? Just curious if you took measurements of the lobes as described. Sorry to hear about your dispute with them, did you loose the motor?
Major engine failure. CW claims mine was produced before the bad batch. The wear on the gear, housing, main bearings, rod bearings, pistons, and cylinder walls tell a different story. The gear was installed in a brand new Toyota housing by MWR. I will have more info in about a month.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nachtmensch, I hope things work out for your. It's hard to hold one company accountable when the motor consists of multiple parts/systems working in parallel. I'm in no way saying it's not their fault, just saying its hard to get them to take responsibility. Especially when they are closing their doors...

For all those whom ARE still interested in obtaining a set of gears. They process is as follows:

1. Call Circuit Worx (soon) and let them know what you'd like, 580-226-0123
2. After approval, Send money order to them
3. Wait for the gears

They are handling this on a case by case basis and I do not know how many they have left. Just hope I manage to get my hands on a set.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I received my gears from CircuitWorx and they are within acceptable limits with the OD lobes measuring from .408-.410. While I was switching the gears I did notice that the material used to make the CircuitWorx gear is more consistent and dense than the gears that came in the housing I purchased (DNJ Branded). While I had them both out I snapped some pictures (to be updated later) and took some comparison measurments.

Dimension // Circuitworx Gear // DNJ Gear
------outer ring------
OD (0 deg) // 3.498" // 3.495"
OD (90 deg) // 3.497" // 3.495"
Lobe Variation// .002" // .003"
Larget Lobe // .410" // .407"
Thickness // .352" // .352"

------inner ring------
OD (0 deg) // 2.953" // 2.950"
OD (90 deg) // 2.953" // 2.951"

Both Gears next to eachother...

CircuitWorx Gear...