MR2 SpyderChat banner

WTB Convertable top installation Video Disc

611 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Joe Schmoe 
#1 ·
Looking to see if anyone has this lying around after using it. Just bought the top but need instructions!

#2 ·
where are you located in the US>? ive done 2 of them but dont have any videos

#6 ·
Did you buy from a site? Ebay? I did this and forgot to ask how I wanted to get the video. I asked them and they gave it to me for free though it was part of the pruchase.

#11 ·
Convertible top

Bought mine from gahh (also stayfast canvas). Was a bit more expensive, have the old one removed but waiting on a new belt moulding (belt moulding was spotted badly and wife always saying it looked bad) before installing. I ordered my installation DVD from E-bay. Let us know how your installation turns out.

#12 ·
If you can afford a new OEM top, RETURN the one you got from auto tops direct. On mine, the adhesive at a pair of the seems might be coming loose. Also, the center tunnel that the top strap goes through isn't designed like stock. So, for one, the strap doesn't function as it should at the top corners (ears) don't fold in like they should. For two, because of the bad design, the tunnel that is there started to pull on the outer fabric, looking like it was going to pull a hole in it. The adhesive was beginning to give way there as well. So I purposely pulled/tore open the tunnel a little more to free up some room and to take the pressure off from the top strap. However, there is some weird reaction with the adhesive and the outer fabric layer that is causes there to be a couple spots of something bleeding through to the outer fabric. Also, the attachment points for the top strap are also probably too long...another reason the corners don't fold in correctly.

After having the top for about 6 months or so, I figured out that I have to get out and help the top fold to get the corners to pull in. Essentially, I have to help the top strap and push that part of the top in between the two bows as the top goes down. Otherwise, the top doesn't do that fold at all, and the corners don't pull in.

Finally, their tops don't come with the brackets attached to the side cables. You have to figure out a way to pry open the OEM steel brackets (very stiff and small) and transfer them over to the new top. Not all of the aftermarket top companies require you to do this. Some have done that step for you.
I know it's a little less than 3X more for an OEM top....but you're really getting what you paid for, IMO.

Also, I notice that they don't even carry the OEM top material any more.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.