MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a license plate mount for the front bumper that they would like to part with?

Front license plate needs to be on to pass inspections here in Massachusetts. I picked up a universal mount from Autozone but it's ugly and requires me doing more drilling in the front bumper, which I don't want to do.

Other option is picking one up from the local Toyota dealer, but they want $37, which seems overly pricey.

Anyone not know what I'm referring to? Check out the black plastic mount under the Spyder badge in the first photo on the page:
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?43217-FS-03-Red-MT-lt-40-mi

·
Registered
802 Posts
Can't get away with zip ties huh? Even in California I got the ok from highway patrol with zip ties.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can't get away with zip ties huh? Even in California I got the ok from highway patrol with zip ties.
I use zip ties for the front plate too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Super helpful! As it turns out, I just heard back from the SpyderChat member that I purchased the car from last week, and he rummaged around and found the mount! So he's going to send it to me.

Out of curiosity (I don't have the Spyder with me at the moment), what would you affix the zip ties too, in order to fasten the plate on?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ziptie the front plate to the plastic bits in the "grille" so it looks like the car is sticking its tongue at you, but still as vertical as possible. I've had it that way for almost 2 years now and never got pulled over, and still managed to pass inspection. Even ran without the front plate for a while and still didn't get hassled, but I don't recommend that for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha, okay, I'll check it out when I get home today. Yeah, having driven with it for a week without the license plate on the front, I really don't want to put it on there, but the state requires it. I'd love to keep it off, but if it's a moving violation it's not worth risking a ticket!

I wonder, it sounds like affixing it to the grille would put it a little lower down than the mount, which might be a nicer look to show off more of the front bumper.

Thanks for the tip! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, I think that looks much better! Puts it down in the recessed area and keeps the bumper area clear. Nice. I'll prolly use the dealer plate to get through inspection and then play around with the zip tie option.

Thanks!

P.S. your photobombing Miata friend, haha, too funny

·
Registered
145 Posts
On my first Spyder, I used the ties without standoffs, and it looked like the photos in this thread. I drove that setup daily for three years without ever being hassled.

I don't have a photo, but my current Spyder's previous owner started to install fog lights at the outer edges of the grill. I now ziptie one side of the plate to one of the light mounts and the other side to a small pill bottle I've drilled and itself ziptied to the grill. The bottle acts as a standoff to keep the plate close to vertical, even though the light mount doesn't protrude much. If I didn't have the fog light mount, I'd use two standoffs.

In 120-150 days of driving over 2 years of this setup on the "new" car, I've not been hassled either for the ties or for having the plate off-center. I doubt I will have trouble with the off-center plate, since my first car came from the factory with the front plate mount off to the side, and I still occasionally see a newish vehicle with a front or rear plate setup like that from the factory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent, thanks! I like the zip tie idea, especially if it will pass inspection. Mounting off center might look cool. The place I get it inspected is also where I go for service, so I feel comfortable asking them if the zip tie solution will pass.

I've had to put it in the garage yesterday and today while I find a solution, in order to avoid a ticket. I've been driving my 350z, which I will put up for sale immediately upon passing inspection with the Spyder. It's not often that someone wants to go from a 2008 (Z) to a 2003 (Spyder). The Spyder is just more fun (for me)!! =)

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
That looks really nice! I have an '03, so our bumper layout should be the same.

How did you fasten yours? Is that zip ties as well?
No zip ties.

Step 1 (hard to take the plunge, but i don't regret it in the slightest):The plate is bent to a 90 degree angle backward just below the state name, well below the numbers. I have access to a sheet metal brake, but I just did it by clamping the plate between two 2x4's on the state name side, and bending it 90 degrees with my bare hands.

step 2: The original holes in the top of the plate are then used for self drilling self tapping screws into the plastic under the bumper.

I also put some roughly 3/4" long 1" diameter cuts from a piece of plastic rod I had lying around behind the lower screw holes and attached them the same way. I intended to use a plastic washer and screw through the grill grid from the back into the plastic rod stock pieces, but never bothered. It has been that way for years (maybe 3 or 4). No one would guess I bent the plate, and I've never gotten flak for it.

If you are willing to put it flush with the grill material instead of forward a bit (I put it forward a little so it would still be easy to see that I really had a front plate for an officer standing in front of the car), you could bend the plate the other way and just use the top two screws.

People have asked me about it, and are amazed that I bent the plate, since from just about any distance/angle it looks like it is full height and just tucked further back with a shadow covering the top of the plate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I will attempt this. Worth it for a clean look.

I follow you on steps 1 and 2.

Regarding affixing the lower portion and the plastic rod, that serves to keep the plate forward, instead of flush on the grill?

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
I think I will attempt this. Worth it for a clean look.

I follow you on steps 1 and 2.

Regarding affixing the lower portion and the plastic rod, that serves to keep the plate forward, instead of flush on the grill?
Yes, braces the plate to stop it from fluttering in the wind when driving at speed. May not be necessary, but I felt better about it. When I test fit it, i felt like with the plate bent back instead of forward, the space that that created put the plate at the perfect placement aesthetically.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.