MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a GT300 hood or copy. Before I contact Spyderdan I figured I'd post a WTB thread to see if there is any toying with the idea of getting rid of thiers. Color doesn't matter since I plan to have it repaint regardless. Ive already contacted and received a hood from Luxurypart and it was a complete pile of dog crap. If anyone has one available to purchase please send me a PM

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
closing the hood requires flexing it over an inch.

There is no support structure under neath other than about a 2" band around the perimeter on the bottom.

There are dips in the flat areas about 3/8" deep.

The width and length are off.
The hood doesn't sit against the head lights.
The vents are not symmetrical; nor evenly set in place (Left vs right).
It would be faster for me to trash it and make one from scratch than repair this one.

You can polish a turd but in the end all you have is a shiny turd....

·
Registered
51 Posts

There is no support structure under neath other than about a 2" band around the perimeter on the bottom.

It would be faster for me to trash it and make one from scratch than repair this one.

OUCH! That does sound bad - how come it couldn't be resolved with the seller?

Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Littlerocket is the one who was going to do the bodywork needed to make it fit and look proper, but he almost laughed in my face when he took a good look at the hood.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OUCH! That does sound bad - how come it couldn't be resolved with the seller?

Paul
LP offered to make things right by sending me another product he sells to compensate for the damaged hood. His compensation piece came damaged and was also of average quality as well. I confused and convinced LR to repair and prep the second piece.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
LP offered to make things right by sending me another product he sells to compensate for the damaged hood. His compensation piece came damaged and was also of average quality as well. I confuse and convince LR to repair and prep the second piece.
You had to confuse Lr before convincing him to repair the second piece? It must have required a lot of work :lol:

I'm sad to hear LP is not living up to their initial promise.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You had to confuse Lr before convincing him to repair the second piece? It must have required a lot of work :lol:

I'm sad to hear LP is not living up to their initial promise.
LP gave a good effort to try and make things right with me by sending me another product. I don't think he was trying to shaft me on anything. I think it all came down to shotty packaging and average/low average quality work.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I contacted Dan last week about getting a hood, he's checking into an eta if ordered and said he would get back to me after the weekend. I'll post the info when I get it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you can wait a month or two, I'm planning on making my own vented hood...it'll be available as carbon or fiberglass, and will be remolded based on a factory hood. My current mold is based on a oem style seibon hood, and since fitment is no good, I'm just going to get it remolded on the factory hood.

It'll be similar to the gt300 hood with vents running up the hood. Probably a run of 5 hoods or so, and will cost in the 5-700 range. I'm going to be.making a project with silversprint possibly, so I want to have it all shipped together at the same time to the factory to save on costs and customs.

I WAS thinking of doing a option of dry carbon, but it probably isn't worth it due to limited markets

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ok where are all the light weight whores?! lol

A normal carbon would be ok too just for the functional scoops. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I talked to my partners in China, and they can't get access to a car to create those ducting but technically, it should be easy to do by yourself after the fact with sheet aluminum.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My guy at the fiberglass shop I use was out of town over the weekend, and hasn't called me back yet, so I'm still waiting on confirmation of how soon I could get any hoods produced. The shop didn't look too busy on Saturday, but I know a friend of mine is still waiting on a bigger project they are working on for him. I'm pretty sure they can squeeze in a hood or 2 in the next 1-2 weeks.

I'd be curious to see some pics of that LP hood.

The GT300 hood is not without fit issues either, but is a good deal better from what I'm hearing here. It works better with the rest of the GT300 kit (where the top of the fenders continues the hood line straight out rather than curving down like the stock fenders). It still fits pretty reasonably with the stock fenders, but a few have done some extra sanding and body work to get a closer fit.

I know some people don't care for the AeroCatch latches, but some sort of latches or pins in the front corners help a great deal to pull the hood down snug and eliminate any gap in the front. The original Monocraft hood had the same issue initially with the stock latch mechanism.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd like to echo a desire for dry carbon vented hood/engine cover

lightweight means cheaper shipping!

Dan, how many people do you have interested in your monocraft widebody kit?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts