MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Black with 2ZZ engine
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Desperately seeking for a shiny TRD front strut tower bar, if any one is thinking about selling or knows where I could source one, then please let me know! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
...if any one is thinking about selling or knows where I could source one, then please let me know! :)
In early 2019 I was able to find them on various Toyota dealers' websites in the US, might be worth a shot. I specifically got mine from John Elway Toyota in Ontario, CA. Note that if you somehow see one of them selling the rear strut tower brace, that's an error in the site and they forgot to remove it. Don't ask me how I know... haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
I call around the Houston area Toyota dealers and one of them said that the national inventory system they use show none in stock in the USA nationwide and that it is discontinued from TRD. I would said the best chance is finding an used one or someone that has one they never installed.

With it being discontinue, I am surprise that some of these guys making braces have not made one to sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Actually I'm surprised that 1.) The ones who bought the last stock are not selling any 2.) As Jazzvuu said - no one makes them anymore really !? 3.) been checking Ebay and SC for the last couple of month and none popped up for sale used either....

Conclusion: Spyder community is shrinking, or everyone already has a front bar :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
With it being discontinue, I am surprise that some of these guys making braces have not made one to sell.
I'm thinking that it'd have be specialized for LHD or RHD, since the RHD versions need the hole toward the left side for some bottle/cap. Not that it couldn't be done, but that's an extra thing to manage for the fabricator/seller.

Actually I'm surprised that 1.) The ones who bought the last stock are not selling any 2.) As Jazzvuu said - no one makes them anymore really !? 3.) been checking Ebay and SC for the last couple of month and none popped up for sale used either....
Having the TRD front and rear strut bars they're definitely sturdy, but heavier than they need to be. I'm thinking that's because Toyota probably felt that those and their member brace would be the extent of bracing you'd add to the car, though you can add in other places to offset the work. If you look at aftermarket options, note that some will have steel or aluminum options. You can't really go wrong, but you want to check for fitment based on your setup and plans. Meaning some are like the TRD FSTB and don't interfere with the hood closing, whereas some have had that problem with the mount reinforcement height.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The aftermarket i see available is the cusco or tanabe that is around $200 but i heard they flex too easy which is not good for a brace. There is carb but those are north of $300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The aftermarket i see available is the cusco or tanabe that is around $200 but i heard they flex too easy which is not good for a brace. There is carb but those are north of $300.
I'd settle with the Carbing one, if someone can confirm it fits LHD. For RHD there are many options, even TRD ones can be found for RHD easily. But for LHD not many options and most of them are nowhere near as serious as the TRD one. :/

·
Registered
634 Posts
I got one for sale, it's RHD, I've seen people modify them to fit LHD by cutting upper part of loop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got one for sale, it's RHD, I've seen people modify them to fit LHD by cutting upper part of loop. View attachment 78937
Thanks but I'm looking for an LHD version :/ RHD can be found every now and then in Europe too (in UK) but no LHD. I ordered a Beatrush / Lailee one for now - as they confirmed it fits both LHD and RHD - and when a TRD comes up for sale, I might swap it over. Thank anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts