MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I buy new I'm taking a stab at finding a gently used 5 or 6 speed transmission for my Spyder. I'm still undecided if I want a 6 speed. Monkey Wrench has a 3.9 that keeps the RPMs at ~3100 at 80 mph, and although the car isn't a daily driver I like those numbers.

NEVERMIND----I FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR--THANKS

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have that tranny from mwr. i really like it

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Buy it new your better in the long run.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You can find used ones no problem. The only thing is that you don't know if they were abused. MWR is probably your best bet unless you just need something cheap. If going super cheap you can look for a LSD 5spd from an 05 Spyder. They are hard to find though.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I still vote for/ recommend the 6 speed with the 3.9:1 final drive. It's great on the highway and as my car is stock, still has plenty of power. Mileage is 36.5 mpg with this setup.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I still vote for/ recommend the 6 speed with the 3.9:1 final drive. It's great on the highway and as my car is stock, still has plenty of power. Mileage is 36.5 mpg with this setup.
Is that highway or city?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
On a long highway run in sixth and at 65 mph with cruise control on. This was a trip (600 miles) from NJ to SC using primarily 95 South.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
On a long highway run in sixth and at 65 mph with cruise control on. This was a trip (600 miles) from NJ to SC using primarily 95 South.
By yourself, or with the spouse? I can see a definate difference in mileage on our spyder depending on whether there is one or two in the car. On our recent trip to the Dragon we averaged about 33.8 with two in the car, 2001 with stock US 5 speed. I think our best mileage is actually at about 75mph. Which is not where I expected it to be.

To help keep myself out of trouble I will go ahead and say that my wife is not near as large as I am. :lol:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
By yourself, or with the spouse? I can see a definate difference in mileage on our spyder depending on whether there is one or two in the car. On our recent trip to the Dragon we averaged about 33.8 with two in the car, 2001 with stock US 5 speed. I think our best mileage is actually at about 75mph. Which is not where I expected it to be.

To help keep myself out of trouble I will go ahead and say that my wife is not near as large as I am. :lol:
With me and the Mrs. and some stuff in the rear storage. The Spyder was running at a steady 2700 rpm the whole trip.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Those are really good numbers. I'll be getting mine in two weeks,my calculated math was that I'll be cruising at 70 at 2900.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I've got a 6-speed available. It already has the LR shifter mod completed. I've got pictures in my Photobucket account but they are blocked from here at work. I can send you a link tonight if interested.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks rande, I didn't see this post until just now.
I have just purchased a new 6 sp. I had to move fast because I have access to a lift and my car is on it now waiting for a transplant. I appreciate you looking out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks rande, I didn't see this post until just now.
I have just purchased a new 6 sp. I had to move fast because I have access to a lift and my car is on it now waiting for a transplant. I appreciate you looking out.
Which one did you get?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Let me know how that compares to the stock 4.3 as that is the one Ill be buying for my smt to manual swap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did you re-calibrate your speedometer?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MPH is read from the wheels electronically, so what needs to be calibrated?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
MPH is read from the wheels electronically, so what needs to be calibrated?
Exactly. The only thing that will throw the speedometer off is other than factory size rear tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts