MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo yest i was packing into a parking spot at my apartment while doing wayyy too much stuff (talking on my phone and eating mcdonalds). I noticed i was a little bit crooked and almost into my buddies car, foot slipped off the clutch and i stalled it. I just got off the phone so i pushed in the clutch and turned the car over when all of a sudden there was a loud POP and smoke started to come out of the engine bay (smelled like a firework almost). The car was still in reverse when i tried to start it but that should not matter since i had the clutch pushed all the way down. All temps and everything was okay, no CEL's.

I then opened up the hood to see if i could see anything and nothing seemed out of place. I then put her into neutral and tired again. She fired right up as if nothing happened. I then put it into first gear and she pulled as if nothing was wrong and then i tried reverse and everything was fine; almost like nothing happened.

I have a 2ZZ swap w/ PFC and with a stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel. Anyone know what this mysterious pop might have been? I am kind of nervous to drive until i get some feedback in what might have happened.

Thanks ahead guys! much appreciated

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I assume pop + smoke and the car running fine engine wise = an electrical short, maybe in the region of the battery.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Possibly when you stalled the engine some unburnt gas got into the exhaust system creating the POP after starting and running. I had a truck do that once that blew the muffler out. I don't know about the smell or smoke though. Electical shorts usually have a very distintive odor. It has been along time since I have smelled fireworks but I am positive I could tell the difference from electrical. Do a check on all the electrical items.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Since the car still starts+drives it may have been an alternator wire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
what happen is you were not focused on the job at hand and like all dullards who feel that multitasking whist driving is a god given necessity you F'ed up
+1 :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the explanations on what could have happened! And for those who think they should stay away from me on the road, i was in the parking lot of my apartment complex at 3 in the morning after studying for 10 hours for my concrete exam next week. so my apologies for trying to grab something to eat since i did not eat dinner. I would love to face you on the track so if you are ever in the chicago area, feel free to stop by...

I will most defiantly check for an electrical problem. Again thank you to all who posted!! Ill let everyone know what happened incase anyone else has the same problem!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Could it have puked raw gas back into the intake/air filter box and ignited? I'm thinking that's the only explanation why smoke came through the engine lid and not out the tailpipe. Pop the lid off your airfilter box and make sure you still have a paper filter - and not a pile of soot. And see if your cardboard snorkle that goes over to the left fender vent is blown apart, or the springs that hold your airbox lid in place are bent/popped loose.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
what happen is you were not focused on the job at hand and like all dullards who feel that multitasking whist driving is a god given necessity you F'ed up
I'm with T on this one.
Hands at 10:00 and 2:00 (or 9:00 and 3:00), not at bigmac and motorolla.

·
Registered
578 Posts
And for those who think they should stay away from me on the road, i was in the parking lot of my apartment complex at 3 in the morning after studying for 10 hours for my concrete exam next week. so my apologies for trying to grab something to eat since i did not eat dinner. I would love to face you on the track so if you are ever in the chicago area, feel free to stop by...
I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove.

That you're a better driver than me? You've already admitted that's not the case, by telling me you tried to drive in reverse with a burger in one hand while talking on a cell phone with the other. And consequently nearly hit a PARKED car. That's your story, I didn't make it up.

That driving in a populated area where there are drunks, dogs, tired students, and little kids takes less focus than driving on a track? That kind of brain damage gets people killed every single day.

You F'ed up. You got called on it. Try to act like a grown-up, OK?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Did the burger have onions? If so the smell might have originated from your own rectum. The cellphone was the ignition source for said fart.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? that sounds fun when we race I will bring a 1991 Buick roadmaster It handles like crap but its fast and when i hit things (like other cars) I usually win. we can race in the opposite direction on your track and end it a blazing game of chicken.

you up for that?
Sounds like a plan to me. Ill bring along my buddies 96 buick roadmaster wagon :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sy3L3CN2Zo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kKyCxeeuQ

Im not trying to say what I was doing was okay. Normally I NEVER drive while eating or on the phone (i have a blue tooth hands free radio for that). And at 3 am, there are no dogs or little kids on the street nor many drunks on a monday night; especially on the opposite side of campus, away from the bars. I have never been in an accident and the only tickets I have ever received are speeding tickets and those were both on the highway. And I was not cramming hw, my test is next wed, not today.

So, with all that, Thank you to all who has posted possible solutions to the problem!! I will be checking those out tomorrow after my interview at 10am and will let you know!

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
But there were parked cars that you almost hit. Imagine the post on the other foot. "some doucheapple was trying to park, chow down a McGrease burger while talking on his phone and he hit my Spyder" :peneye::peneye:

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
And for those who think they should stay away from me on the road, i was in the parking lot of my apartment complex at 3 in the morning after studying for 10 hours for my concrete exam next week. so my apologies for trying to grab something to eat since i did not eat dinner. I would love to face you on the track so if you are ever in the chicago area, feel free to stop by...
No need to study for that concrete exam any longer, your brain is obviously full of it.:lol:

As to your last sentence, it screams "cyber warrior" which is as lame as it gets.

If you think it is acceptable in ANY situation to be driving a car whilst either eating or being on a cell, let alone both, then that burger had a higher iQ than you in its previous life.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
My god, the OP should just button it up. This is a fine example of the degradation of moral standards because of technology and convenience. Idiocracy the movie comes to mind.

If you guys noticed these guys are so typical in their responses you would think they were being pumped out of a factory.

1. Speaking openly with no shame because of a lack of a value system.
2. Excusing ones actions with more wrong.
3. Pitting of members by thanking those that that are being somewhat helpful.
4. Making idle internet bravado to somehow salvage respect.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts