MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't see how twins are of any benefit in this situation. It looks like spool is instantaneous, but a single turbo would be at that power level as well, and cheaper and less complicated.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree a single turbo would be so much easier to do. Yet you got to give some respect for the crazy fool that came up with this. How much better it is well that's up for debate. For a sec I thought I was looking at something from twobrutal as they are the only nuts that I thought would come up with something so out of the park.

BTW You got to love those crazy brits they will find a way bastardize a mr2 in new ways all the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can't see the link because I'm not signed up. Does it have two different sized turbos, one that spools up quickly at low rpms and another for high?

·
Registered
232 Posts

He wants $16k an it has 41k miles

All work was done at Ballistic Motorsports in Bow, NH. http://www.ballisticmotorsports.org/

As far as modifications:

1. Tein SuperStreet adjustable coil-overs.
2. Tein EDFC damping controller
3. GReddy e-Manage Ultimate with various sensors.
4. GReddy Profec e-01 boost controller with LCD display, remote controller and high capacity boost controller solenoid.
5. Innovate air/fuel controller (LC1) with digital dash mounted gauge.
6. Twin, parallel, water cooled Garrett GT12 turbos.
7. PowerStroke (i think thats the name?) water to air aftercooler with front mounted radiator and fan
8. ACT clutch (6 puck, sprung) with pressure plate
9. Tanabe Super Medallion exhaust.
10. Catalytic converter and emissions test legal, including OBD2, visual and tail pipe sniffing.
11. SSR GT 7 wheels with Ultra High Performance tires (Bridgestone). 17 inch at the front, 18 inch at the rear (wheels are forged and quite rare)
12. Brand new rear tires (less than 100 miles on them)
13. Stock 15"/16" staggered wheels as well
14. Tial blow off valve.
15. Ceramic coated, inside and out, exhaust manifolds and down pipes.
16. Modified AEM cold air intake with K&N filter.
17. Motul fluids

Car was dynoed 200 hp/200 TQ at 10 psi. Definitely can go higher...

If you're interested, please let me know. Price is $16,000. I can take more pictures as well, just let me know what you would like to see. Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That powerband is close to what we expect with our single gt2554r turbo system. With a 220 or so hp peak and 2500 rpm torque peak, on a stock internals motor 1zz
At what psi? And 200wtq at 2800rpm? just curious how this setup would compare to a well done single

Personally for the amount of work if rather have something twin charged :shrug: atleast the work looks decent

·
Registered
23,137 Posts
I'm going to agree with Illusive in that a single small turbo that spools quick would be much better then that twin set up. The twin set up is not only more complex, it doesn't seem to be as efficient either. A sequential system to get working right requires a good bit of knowledge.
The old Hass system virtually had no turbo lag and felt just right for the Spyder.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Wh=-p0oijuhgv

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That dyno plot looks like it was produced in Excel.

Odd setup. I don't see any benefit in an inline 4 however. A custom GT2554 twin scroll would have impressed me a lot more.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Wow I saw this years ago when I went to an open house Ballistic was doing, at the time almost none of the work was done outside of the suspension so its funny to see it here. The story as I was told is that this car was owned by one of the original guys who developed CAD, he got super rich and bought himself a dyno, decided to twin turbo just for the fun of it and to have something unique. Wish I had more details.

-Spargo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.