MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 982 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First i would like to thank TRIZ with all the tech help he has provided me thanks man.
also would like to thank JASON AT DDRP for making me a custom wiring harness for all my california legal swap needs, it cost a littl more but thanks lol.

all right lets get this started XxTACTIKZxX is my street bike name i ride for the oakland ca. head hunters own a small suspension wheel fitment business just started it so its small but does ok. This is my first Mid Rear car and this is my 40th car iv'e built 600whp civics and clean integras all day. On a side note im a manager, small business owner, college student, and have two kids so im fairly busy at the age 27.

ive grown apart from hondas love the hell out of them but when i test drove my spyder i was like what the hell this car is different i even liked it more than my fathers c5 corvette, more than a s2k more than z's wrx gto's and all the rest i just loved this damn car gokart all my friends also call me soy sauce because im black and they say im more asian then them lol.

well basically i just love this car its the only car ive had to learn how to drive, with its lil twitchy chassis and crackhead movements but theirs something about it that keeps your attention while driving and keeps you on edge.

ive always had power/gas hungry cars but all left me with headachs and sever matanice, ive always had clean looking cars lowered with fitted rims but retained the stock look but had a dose of massive powwwa since all my friends had 500-1500whp cars from hondas to cheveys fords and lambo as well and bently flying spurs.

this time i want to build my perfect car not a car im nessarly competing with my friends but one i would enjoy for my self and fit my driving style and looks.

my image again neg comments please do as your mom said if nothing nice to say then dont say it at all.

My perfect car. 2 seater (now mr lol) something rare in a sense, always loved cars you dont see every where, rwd so i can do a donut from time to time or a lil roundabout drift session when im out with my v8 boys, grip i love grip love taking conners with some G baby G, high rpm, low matinance as all hondas, toyota ect jap cars are, something where you can let the top down or shall i say take her top off lol. add a hard top, light weight, percise steering control, a car that give the driver feedback of whats going on with the road conditions and chassis handling.

my plans with this car came sooner than i wanted to kinda sucks just got the car for a great deal making payments a total $9k so i had the car for one month drove 3k miles then next thing you know the oil rings went. the pre cats were solid may have been replaced idk but when i checked them they were in perfect condition. leak down was 0 compression when blown wasw 135psi all cylinders. their was a massive ammount of oil on the spark plugs.

my plans were to swap the car any way but not this damn soon sucks because i spent about 3k on suspension and rims then the week i was going to install HERE GOES THE BOOM OF DOOM LOL.

so i do have alot of parts stacked up but not going to mention them till its time to install.
i currently have my 2zz motor on stand by only have $50 before it ships out but waiting doing research because when it ships thats when the warentee starts lol. Next month on the 11 i will be pulling and swapping the motor due to going on vacation. For now ill be doing lil nick nacks and cleaning ect gettign it all ready so when the swap is done ill have a new changed car behavior wise and looks.

2ZZ will be cali legal bar swap al ready contacted the state capital for all the info
rims
suspension
lighting
interior
exterior

so stay tuned. for my some what show and weekend warrior car.

PS im a picture whore.

heres a pic of my car when i first got it and a pic of it at 3000 miles while it was consuming oil at a rate of 4qt every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so right now im working on some apearence mods I got this lil spiffy kit I saw its a courtesy projector light kit I picked up it came with two projectors that has built in resistiors amd also came with generic instructions alswell as a drill bit.

Heres the projector

And the drill bit

Heres a pic of what iy will display in a 1'6" radius on the ground its extremely clear I was suprised also this can be seen in the day time its that bright and clear.

This pic was taken in full daylight in my living room

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now im adding some wire to this kit its soposed to connect to the courtesy lights in the doors since the spyder does not have any I will be extending these wires and I love to make every thing plug and play so im adding pinch clips and soldering so it has a solid connectivity so I can set it and forget it

All my tool to extebd the wires

One clip on 4 more to go

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All done making the extensions for the wires. 25' even though I will only need 8' each side.

Ill start the dissconnect of the dome light im going to hard wire a plug and play harness j connector clip to the wiring in their then measure volts/ current draw it should be safe but going to measure for a peice of mind. I dont think my clips will be in untill monday but ill start the drilling and wiring process sunday.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I'm excited to see what new people with new ideas will bring. Let me be the first to say your grammer needs some work but as long as you got some knowledge to share, it can be easily overlooked. Sorry the engine took a dump so fast, maybe its the car's way of saying all or nothing. :lol:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I for got to mention my car is an 2002, most companys sell the 00-01 ecu with their swap kits because the redline and vvtl-i engaugment point is @ 6000rpm for lift and 8250 rpm for RL with a 1 wire knock sensor. with my year MR-S its the 7825 rpm RL and 6200 rpm vvtl-i lift point with a two wire knock sensor.

cali rules is that i have the same year engine with in the same family which it is ZZ have to have the transmission all smog equiptment ecu and harness to make it legal so i would need the two wire knock sensor to fully comply with cali rules.

Jason at DDPR stated that their kits dont come with a two wire knock sensor connect but he could make one for me for an extra $100 on top of their regular swap harness pricing ive also called MRW they stated that they do not and will not make a two wire harness.

theirs also a few other little things i will get into when doing the swap. it just sucks because the vvtl-i is 6200 vs 6000 and that the RL is 7825 vs 8250 but a power fc down the road after i get every thing in check will take care of that.

ill have all pics of pretty much every thing but just dont want to get to ahead of things, i dont want information scattered all across my thread so when people reference this thread for help they wont have to bounce all over the place to find information if they did not want to read the whole thread.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm excited to see what new people with new ideas will bring. Let me be the first to say your grammer needs some work but as long as you got some knowledge to share, it can be easily overlooked. Sorry the engine took a dump so fast, maybe its the car's way of saying all or nothing. :lol:
sorry about the grammar i usually clean it up when i get home on my laptop lol im always out the house and tired lately lol. im kinda excited for this build since its the first time im not going super power route and i sort of want to play with a little lighting but nothing crazy like fast and the furious or street glo not my style and another thing ive never used is nos. so i think i might try a 60 shot after all the bolt on are on with a tune will see im more of a turbo guy but never ever had nos in any car ive owned so im kinda tempted.

it does suck about the car but hey its life when you get a flat tire you dont get out the car and put the rest on flat you change it and keep moving foward lol.

·
Registered
860 Posts
^California cares about emissions... a lil too gott damn much. Keep us posted on your progress bro. The forum and certain individuals here are willing to help and educate. Welcome to SC! :cool:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Say's this guy.. lol Still got your project spyder? How've you been man?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
^California cares about emissions... a lil too gott damn much. Keep us posted on your progress bro. The forum and certain individuals here are willing to help and educate. Welcome to SC! :cool:
Thanks and will keep every one up posted. Thanks for the support. And yes cali is a peice of work their even was a one point in time where the city tried to get smoking cigarettes in your home banned in major populated cities such as san fransicso. Ect and if cought you would get up wards to a $1000 fine.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Are you familiar with "run-on sentences"?
You have invented "run-on paragraphs".

cool thanks teacher, i have have severe ADHD not joking i do 35% hiregher than average so its hard to focus or boring stuff like this if im not in class getting graded on. Not that thats any of your business. as i posted at above i was on my phone and i usually clean up my post when i get the chance to get back on my laptop. which i just did. if i did not type it out at the time i probably would have never got this thread started. aslo my phone does this weird thing to where it over wrights some words while im typing it will start to erase some lettering and characters. then when i get home im like damn wtf if any one knows of a good app that spyderchat is on please let me know i have a galexy s3 and an app would help me clear up the issue using the internet browser on this phone to navigate fourms sucks donky ill just stop their but you get the idea.

All that aside, I'm confused: I need some context.

How is a blown engine related to lights? Blown engines arnt related to lights this thread is about my over all build of the cars aperance and preformance.
What is the purpose of the lights? they are courtesy lights they come on when you open the door.
Where are they to be located? They will be located at the bottom of the door panne,l when the door is open the emblem will project to the ground. the light will be in sequence with the dome light.
Why should California care? you must have never tuned a car in california crazy emission laws

hope that clears up your questions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm actually looking to do a CA 2zz as well and fairly soon (about a month from now). All bar process information you feel like passing along will be helpful (although I got an '01) did the ref say the engine had to be Toyota or could it be a newer lotus engine with no vin plate?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those puddle lights are a quirky little edition! We have them on our Yaris. Didn't even realise they were fitted until we got it home and spotted it on the garage floor! :)

Did you pick them up as an official part from Toyota? I was thinking I'd like them on the 2 as well.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I think it's amusing when someone calls somebody out on their grammar and misspells the word grammar as "grammer."

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm actually looking to do a CA 2zz as well and fairly soon (about a month from now). All bar process information you feel like passing along will be helpful (although I got an '01) did the ref say the engine had to be Toyota or could it be a newer lotus engine with no vin plate?
they stated nothing about a vin plate ive called the state capital smog tech and also states capital referee station. he stated

engine has to be with in the same family wich it is zz
have the ecu from the car its being pulled from
same year or newer engine
have the wiring harness from the car that the motors comming from
the transmission has to bolt up with no modifications at all (hence why it has to be same engine family code)
transmission harness and linkage has to be wired up with no modification
all guages will have to be working properly
check engine light all cluster lights must signal when an error occurs with the engine
you can not place a disel engine in a car that did not come with it
all smog equiptment must be working properly evap system, smog pump, sensors
must have carb leagle intake system or stock air box fitted from the engine the car came from.
must have orriginal exhaust manifold from or the car the engine was pulled from or carb legal headers.
all moniters must clear with out an issue
and last but not least the engine can not have any internal modifications done to it and must run with in specs as if the engine was still placed in the original car.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, it does.
Thank you.

I was actually wondering why California would care about interior lights.
I'm fully aware that they care about emissions.

If you tap into the dome light, the courtesy lights will come on any time the dome light is on. The lights in both doors will come on when only one door is open. That's not really a problem, but it might be something you'd rather not have happen. Tapping directly into the door switches may be a better idea. It's certainly much easier.

Here is a lengthy thread that contains some information you may find useful.
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?51338-Tapping-into-DOME-light-power
thanks for the info i was thinking about tapping the door switches but if my memory serves me correct their reverse polarity ill have to check wich means when the door is closed the light will be on.

1 - 20 of 982 Posts