MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I attempted to clean up the headlights a bit due to yellowness, but ended up making it worse. I'm wet sanding using 1000-grit sandpaper, and Meguires Plastix. Seems like I need a higher grit sandpaper as I still see scratches.

What are you guys doing to clean up these huge headlights?

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Mine were so bad, running your fingernail across them would make that area clearer. Here are some pics. The last one is the best, but you get the idea. I think he charged me $35 for it

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Get a 3M headlight restoration kit. I think it's about 35 or 40 bucks. The first couple of polishing pads are rough and it looks like the pictures you posted. Work your way through the pads and they'll come out like the picture above my post.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
I'm not really a big fan of the restoration kit. They tend to haze up again after a couple of months. I like the UV spray method. That's perma fix.
You have to restore them to a clear condition before you UV them. It's a liquid coating that is applied and hardens under UV light. Same type of coating that it put on poly lens after the scrip is generated and polished.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I use Blue Magic.It cost about $5 and works good but I have to re do them every 3-4 months on my daily driver.It only takes me 15 minutes to do both sides so it's not a big deal to me.The $5 bottle will last you years.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I used a few different headlight restoration kits, and even tried to have mine professionally cleared once.

Then I just ponied up the $130/ea and replaced the headlights.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
If my headlight covers were clouded and so forth, I'd buy new ones. It appears to be the case that you can remove the problem lights, bake them in the oven, separate the covers, sand them and so forth with all kinds of grit paper and do this and that and then put them back together and some people have reported good results from that.

The fix, such as it is, doesn't seem to hold up all that long.

Instead, I'd replace the entire housings and go with new. Regularly apply Tung oil and try to keep the car out of sunlight as much as possible. Garage it, park under trees, whatever, but avoid letting the sun beat down on them when you can. (My '01s are showroom new and look great.)

·
Registered
236 Posts
^ Why would he crack the headlights open to fix the hazing when it is the outside of the lens that's the issue? Regardless I have had good success with most the various name brand headlight kits on various cars I have done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.