MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading some tire threads and my head is spinning. What is anyone's favorite middle of the road tire selection, I don't want the cheapest but don't need the most expensive either. The car is a daily driver, is not used for track or autocross, and will never see snow or ice. I just want a nice balance of dollar value, ride quality and performance. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Yokohama S.drives

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Yokohama AD08
^Good call, but I think the S.drives will last longer.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
The tires I have researched to replace the 040's when the time comes are:

Yokohama S.Drives-great price, probably longest lasting, TR test likes the responsiveness. OEM sizes probably less sticky than OEM Bridgestone.

Bridgestone RE- 040-I have lots of tread left and so far like the responsiveness of this tire. Very expensive to replace but OEM sizes.

Toyo-reads as a very sticky tire wet and drive but soft sidewalls meaning not as responsive. OEM sizes.

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. - Decent price for what TR tests as a great tire, A bit less than the RE-11 and a bit more noise but cheaper. Not OEM size but close enough.

Bridgestone RE-11- Much cheaper than the RE-040, but better in every area and the best from TR test and reading. Not OEM size. My top choice when the time comes.

I want to keep the Spyder responsive plus tires are my contact to the road, money well spent IMHO.

Mine is a Daily Driver in residential and freeway plus rides in the country. OEM springs with Koni struts, some bracing and soon a CHE dual exhaust.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Based on your criteria, another decent choice would be either the Falken Ziex 912 or the FK 452 series. Good performance wet or dry, the FK 452's are very good in the rain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts