MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So its been forever since I've posted on here since the accident back in May. Just now got the car back into shape. But onto what the post is about...

...Tires

So yesterday I had new tires installed on the Spyder. They are the new Yokohama YK580. I want to say off the top of my head I'm running a 195/?-15 and a 225/50-16. But dont quote me to that its dark and raining so I can't check right now.

Boy are these tires a difference from the Dunlop Direzza tires that were on there before. The dunlops were noisy, these are not. The dunlops don't perform very well in rain, these are night and day difference.

I dont know if anyone else is running these yet or not. But now we have one more tire from Yokohama to consider besides the S.Drives

Anyone else out there running these tires?

·
Registered
614 Posts
So its been forever since I've posted on here since the accident back in May. Just now got the car back into shape. But onto what the post is about...

...Tires

So yesterday I had new tires installed on the Spyder. They are the new Yokohama YK580. I want to say off the top of my head I'm running a 195/?-15 and a 225/50-16. But dont quote me to that its dark and raining so I can't check right now.

Boy are these tires a difference from the Dunlop Direzza tires that were on there before. The dunlops were noisy, these are not. The dunlops don't perform very well in rain, these are night and day difference.

I dont know if anyone else is running these yet or not. But now we have one more tire from Yokohama to consider besides the S.Drives

Anyone else out there running these tires?
When you mention the Dunlops are you talking about the z1's or the direzza 101's.

The z1's are a very good tire that will grip in the wet like it is dry at high speeds.

The 101's well it's a fail of a tire at least the set I had. Turned to giant marbles from 2 autox days. Fell off grip wise very fast and melted to nothing faster then the star specs. It's good you found a tire you feel comfortable with. In short would you say this would be a longer lasting version of the s-drives with a slight down grade in overall grip wise in favor longevity and more all season grip????

·
Registered
544 Posts
It looks like the speed rating on YK580's is a down grade from the OEM tires, only an H. OEM is a V.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you mention the Dunlops are you talking about the z1's or the direzza 101's.

The z1's are a very good tire that will grip in the wet like it is dry at high speeds.

The 101's well it's a fail of a tire at least the set I had. Turned to giant marbles from 2 autox days. Fell off grip wise very fast and melted to nothing faster then the star specs. It's good you found a tire you feel comfortable with. In short would you say this would be a longer lasting version of the s-drives with a slight down grade in overall grip wise in favor longevity and more all season grip????
I believe they were 101's. yeah didnt like them at all.

It looks like the speed rating on YK580's is a down grade from the OEM tires, only an H. OEM is a V.
From what I can remember an H is 130 MPH and a V is 149 MPH in general (someone correct me if I'm wrong). My spyder never sees above 75 MPH.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't heard of them before, they look pretty good but are pretty tall.
Brand new just on market but getting very good reviews, all season as well. I'll get pictures up sooner or later of them on the spyder.

Yeah I know but it makes about a ~3 MPH difference on the speedometer. (Speedo reads 60MPH, really traviling at about 63MPH)

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Eeew, their, all-seasons...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
All-seasons tires are made to last a long time. That's it. Side effects of being an all-season include: being good at nothing in particular, but average at everything.

Summer tires are made to be fun to drive on. They accelerate, turn, and generally feel sportier than other tires. Side effects include being poor in the rain, dangerous in the snow, and wearing out much faster.

It's not even a fair comparison. I've driven these tires on a Civic. They're....well....tires.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I agree with that statement, except that my star specs kick ass in the rain.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree with that statement, except that my star specs kick ass in the rain.
+1

I believe summer tires offer superior grip in both wet and dry conditions. Hydroplaning resistance is a different story - For example, Azenis are pretty scary in the wet (I only ran them up front so no big deal), but KDW2's are spectacular in the rain and are probably the best street tire available in 225/45-16.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
What kind of Pilots? There's like 21 different kinds hahah. Tires are definitely all about compromise and trade-offs though.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I know I am reviving and old thread but I'm updating everyone one on these "tires"

I've had them two years now Tread depth is still good, but...

They Suck!
So far I know one is out of round. They don't hold balance very long. And at 10 mph I can slide the car on a moderate turn, so not wet traction worth anything.

If discount tire finds anything worth replacing them for (even at a reduced cost of a new set),

I'm opting for most likely S.Drives in 185/55-15 & 205/50-16 or Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec 205/50-15 & 225/45-16

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
YK580 suck balls period.

I have them on my 2zz turbo matirx xrs. in Rain they suck big time DON'T BUY IT
no grip what so ever, the only good thing is they last long but very bad in Rain for all season

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
YK580 suck balls period.

I have them on my 2zz turbo matirx xrs. in Rain they suck big time DON'T BUY IT
no grip what so ever, the only good thing is they last long but very bad in Rain for all season
Essentially, the tires were "free"... a gift from my Dad. But they are terrible... I think the tread will last forever but with no grip what's the point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.