MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Start signing-up so I can get a head count. First 30 to sign-up and show-up will each receive a goodie bag of treats (one per car). There will be door prizes for categories like “Spyder that came the furthest to attend” and “Spyder voted best liked by those who attend.”

Friday night starts in Fresno (for those who want to come early) with a wine tasting and movie in the park at Engelmann Cellars. http://www.engelmanncellars.com/

Saturday morning we can meet for breakfast some place along the way (this kind of depends on how many people sign-up) and then a drive into the Yosemite National Park at 10:00 AM. Entrance Fee is $20 per vehicle and everyone pays their own entrance fee. http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

I was not able to get a special use permit for the Park, but Park Officials recommend that we meet inside the Park at the left side turn out/row parking before the Tunnel of “Tunnel View” on Highway 41 for a Spyder group photo. We won’t be able to reserve spaces anywhere inside the Park and this was one of the places that Park Officials recommended. They also recommended Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove. Who knows, we might want to try all three places. Let me know what you think.
It might be difficult to arrange for lunch in the park – everyone in one place. What would you think about everyone brings their own picnic lunch?

At the end of the day, we could drive out of Yosemite and take the 120/140 exit down to Mariposa and meet for dinner someplace and then folks could split-up and head home from there. . . . or . . .

If people wanted stay in the Oakhurst/Bass Lake area Saturday night, another option would be the Moonlight Special at the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad – www.yosemitetrains.com. This would include dinner (steak or chicken) train ride and entertainment.

Here are a few of the hotels/motels in the area:

Best Western Yosemite Gateway Inn, Oakhurst – www.yosemitegatewayinn.com 800-545-5462
The Pines Resort on Bass Lake – www.basslake.com – 559-642-3121
Queen’s Inn by the River (with Wine Tasting and Wine/Beer Garden) – www.queensinn.com 559-683-4354

If you are looking for more places to stay or things to do while in the area, contact Rhonda Salisbury at www.yosemitethisyear.com. Rhonda is good people and really knows the area.

Okay, that’s a start. Ideas are welcome. None of the above is cast in stone. Start sign-ups in the next post and let’s see how many Spyders we can get together for this meet.

·
Registered
781 Posts
2. Mike (MCquik)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for including me. I will let you know for sure by mid April as I am taking my dental admission test in the first week of April therefore it depends on how well I do.

I am a maybe for now.

Thank you again
Rasheed

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for including me. I will let you know for sure by mid April as I am taking my dental admission test in the first week of April therefore it depends on how well I do.

I am a maybe for now.

Thank you again
Rasheed
Awesome! Good luck your your admissions test. Preparing for that test sounds like a job you can really sink your teeth into. :lol: Hope you can make it to the meet. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ima try my best to go but idk when I'll be going to Calpoly for an architecture competition. I've been really angry with myself last time I went and didn't take pics soo yea.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
At the end of the day, we could drive out of Yosemite and take the 120/140 exit down to Mariposa and meet for dinner someplace and then folks could split-up and head home from there. . . . or . . .
Red Fox in Mariposa is pretty good. Man I wish I was closer(1800 miles). Not been to Yosemite in years. I use to fly into Reno with hiking gear and rent a cheap car for a week.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love Yosemite and visit often. I can't commit to this trip yet, but I am very interested.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Wish you could make it out for the meet. Yosemite beckons you.
Me too, and I'm very tempted. I'm booked to be in Arkansas that same weekend for a motorcycle rally. Hmm, week in California or a weekend in Arkansas. Let me see how cash flow/time off goes.

I've done several of the trails up there. About 1/2 of Muir(from Lone Pine North), up to the top of El Cap from the Valley, 4 miles trail, Vernal and Nevada falls. Not done 1/2 Dome yet. :angry:

Did Forester Pass while it was covered in snow and ice. It's a wonder we didn't fall off :)

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not done 1/2 Dome yet. :angry:
I did Half Dome years ago when I was a much younger man. I was amazed that it was a lot easier hike than I thought it would be (although I was in shape back in those days). It is an all day hike to get there and back in the same day. Back when I did it, you could just hike it. Now days, it looks like you have to get a permit to do the hike because there are so many people wanting to hike half dome. You have to make sure the weather conditions are safe when you take that hike. Any clouds at all, stay away because of the lightening. My x-wife and some friends did the hike and while at the top saw the clouds coming in and got down off the mountain. While they were heading back down the trail, there were some other people climbing to the top (ignoring the weather) and even though they were encouraged to cancel attaining the top, they went anyway. 3 people died of lightening strikes that day. My x-wife and her hiking group are pretty suspect the dead hikers were the ones they encountered on their descent.

That said, now back to our regularly scheduled programing :lol: Hope you can make it out for the meet. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I talked with the manager at a local O'Reilly's over the weekend and he agreed to donate a door prize for the meet. Things are starting to come together.

I have taken the liberty of listing folks who have either signed-up or expressed an interest in attending this meet and the list includes folks from a couple of other boards. I am also posting this list on the other boards. If this is poor board etiquette, on my part, please let me know and I'll fix it. It is not my intent to be rude or to have poor manners. Thank you for your input.

Yosemite Spyder Meet
Sign-ups start here:

1. Uncle Mush and Lisa
2. Mike (MCquik)
3. Anderson and Monica
4. Rortizo aka spyderjunkie
5. Rasheed (Maybe?)
6. Vango (Maybe?)
7. MadKat (Maybe?)
8. Jahnathon (Maybe?)
9. Houmax (Maybe?)
10. Team Mechanic (Maybe?)