MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 8 weeks I just received a stainless steel header. It is extremely well done and I am very pleased with the quality. I will not be able to install it until next weekend, not sure I can last that long, just like Xmas. The heat shield will not be used as it appears to be a four sided drum and an expensive one at that. Slowly I will update the install and probably a dyno run at some point. I am also working on a flywheel and would like to add fuel/spark tuning.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The PPE header is for high rpm power.
The ZeroExhaust header is for mid-range torque.
It is better!
I am not interested in power up higher, 2zz would be the choice then, I want a bit more in the mid range for my DD and reduce weight. I am sure PPE is a fine header just different. Neither is cheap and I will keep the OEM cat.

The ZE weighs in at 8lbs 5oz minus shield. I am using a O2 extension 12" from www.casperelectronics.com

I would post pics directly to the forum, I don't use photobucket etc. So no pics I guess.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd use the heatshield...I don't see why not.
The heatshield is a drum waiting to make noise, not the kind of noise I want to hear either. If I feel the need I will spend time making or modifying a/the shield. After some discussion my buddy and I don't see the need right now. Oldman is not using his either. It is not a clam shell so heat retention will not be good. I should have asked not to have it made and maybe saved a dollar or two.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Before you install it can you please take pictures looking inside the tubes on the engine side, and inside the flange on the cat side to see the merges? Also, a shot of the cat flange itself would be nice. I want to see how it handles the gaskets. Also, what did this run you without VAT but with US shipping?

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both mounting surfaces are ruler flat, nothing protrudes. Head studs will locate that gasket. Down pipe I have yet to see. VAT is only EU. England is a favored trade country meaning no customs tax. My daily exchange rate came to 715 USD shipped. Close enough to the PPE header IMHO. If I ever need a cat I will go with the Magnaflow.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wheels can be a very good investment, 10lb. Enkei would be my choice. I don't see the lightest wheels giving any improvement to torque, instead a reduction in inertia with lower unsprung weight but probably more delicate for street use. I plan on a lighter flywheel to speed up acceleration. I prefer OEM wheels. I do have a another set of 15x6.5's I will use up front when I go with 195's. The header is not cheap and I will spend more to get the most out of it. The path I have chosen may not work for anyone else, it rarely does. I am not interested in lowering,bodywork, FI or a 2zz, just a stock DD a bit better than OEM. I do find the MR2 to be a very well balanced package off the show room floor. For me any small gain is good and they begin to add up after a while.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
That's a sexy header.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a pretty header but not many will see it. The up close craftsmanship is even better. ZE will supply the header without H shield at 40 pounds (British dollar) less. I guess I will test mine out before a final direction is taken. ZE does great work.

I have done a bit of reading on transmissions. I have not problems with my 5-speed and don't mind 4k rpm at 80 mph. I don't need to go that fast any way. I am interested in LSD but all this would have to wait until there is a reason to change the transaxle.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.