MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Silver
21 Posts
@jtt PM your email and we can talk more. I cannot give every detail as you need to contact BAR and familiarize yourself with the process and specifics.

As SilverSprint pointed out, an engine group that is 50 state smog legal should be legal for a swap. Contact BAR for confirmation.

You're better off saving yourself the hassle and buying a CA donor. A CA with smog history in the system is extremely beneficial to you and them. There is no reason not to.

Yes, 2ZZ swaps are much easier to make legal with wiring. Not sure about evap size and location. Stock MRS is under the metal lid behind the driver's seat and accesses the gas tank via an oval hole in the trans tunnel. There is one available intake tube listed I'm another thread which is CARB legal and makes the 2zz swap possible. You can also find info on spacers for the subframe. I have not researched more into the 2zz.

AS FOR COMMENTS LIKE USING HEAT SHIELDS TO HIDE MODIFIED EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DON'T WASTE TIME HELPING ANY MORE. ANOTHER "THIS IS HOW YOU CHEAT". SINCE IT'S A BRILLIANT IDEA, MAYBE YOU CONSIDER THE INVENTION OF MIRRORS.

This is my last comment. I hope this helps some people. Regarding inspection, it is normally quoted at 1.5hr in length. Mine was almost 4hr because these cars are used for swaps and cheating is common.

You are the reason legal swaps are now so difficult.

Another FYI: BAR doesn't HAVE to let you swap engines. It's a privilege and not a right.
Thank you Bill. I’ll pm you once I have pm rights.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts